SAN DIEGO – Nine people in San Diego County have fallen ill with salmonella linked to unpasteurized or “raw” milk or dairy products from a manufacturer in Fresno, California, local health officials said.
The nine cases, which began in late September, range in age from 1 to 41, San Diego County announced on its website Friday. Three of the cases resulted in children being hospitalized.
Anyone who has recently purchased raw milk or dairy products from Raw Farm LLC is urged not to consume and throw away the product, the county advises. All cases reported consuming the above products before becoming ill.
“The district recommends that people who have products from this company at home dispose of them immediately,” said Dr. Seema Shah, medical director of the county’s Department of Epidemiology and Immunization Services. “It is also important for everyone who is sick to seek medical help. Sick people and those who live with them should wash their hands frequently to avoid contamination of surfaces and foods that could spread the disease.”
Salmonella bacteria are commonly found in human and animal intestines and cause symptoms such as bloody or watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, nausea, vomiting and headaches about six hours to six days after eating contaminated food, according to the county.
Raw or “natural” milk can produce harmful germs such as salmonella, listeria, E. coli and other bacteria, viruses and parasites because it has not gone through the pasteurization process, in which the milk is heated to a high temperature for a short period of time. officials said.
The county warns that adults 65 and older, children under 5 and people with weakened immune systems are most at risk for serious illness.
Suggest a correction