Millions of TikTok users warned about a dangerous viral trend that could cause a fire

TIKTOK fans have been urged not to try a viral trend aimed at keeping people warm on low gas or electricity.

The popularity of the new “hack” has exploded amid a livelihood crisis in Britain, where energy prices have skyrocketed.

According to the fire department, the


According to the fire department, the “hack” poses a great riskCredit: AP

The misguided TikTok trick is to use a tea light in a terracotta bowl, which is then covered by an inverted terracotta pot to contain the heat.

It seems like an easy way to save money on keeping your home warm.

However, it poses a major risk, according to firefighters and other experts, even though it is used to reduce energy bills.

“Hacks like this claim to save you money, but instead you risk your life,” said a spokesman for Derbyshire Fire Services.

Around 50 people were evacuated from their homes in Derbyshire in December last year after a fire broke out in a nearby flat when this ploy went awry.

Firefighters believe the heat from the makeshift lamp’s base has weakened the panel underneath.

This then caused the assembly to fall, setting fire to those around it.

“While these hacks look like a great way to save on heating bills, they are very dangerous and we would urge people not to follow the videos posted online,” Derbyshire fire investigator and station manager Barclay Masterson said at the time.

“Fortunately, in this case, the squatters witnessed the failure of the homemade heater and evacuated the home safely before calling 999 – but things could have turned out very differently and I would like to remind everyone of the dangers of homemade heaters go out.”

Masterson urged that candles and tealights should not be used for anything other than their intended purpose.

“They should be placed in heat-resistant holders that hold the candle or tea light firmly and placed on a flat, stable, and heat-resistant surface,” he explained.

“On this occasion, the heat given off by the base of the tea lights was sufficient to weaken the terracotta slabs on which they were placed, causing the home-made device to collapse and the melted wax to ignite.

“Using tea lights like this can also cause severe burns, not only from the heated terracotta pots, but also from the open flames that result.”

The best tips and hacks for phones and gadgets


Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find these secret features in social media apps? We’ve got you covered…

Get the latest news about WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook and other tech gadgets here.

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science Team? Email us at Millions of TikTok users warned about a dangerous viral trend that could cause a fire

Screesnrantss is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button