ST. LOUIS – The NFL season begins tonight and some St. Louis fans are wondering which team they should support. Since the sale of the St. Louis Rams in 2015, St. Louis has been without an NFL team.
It’s been eight years since the Rams became the Los Angeles Rams. This was the second time an NFL team left St. Louis after the NFL Cardinals left for Arizona in 1988. The Rams, who ended a seven-year NFL team drought in 1995, left St. Louis 21 seasons later. This story summarizes the last game the Rams played in St. Louis.
Eight years later: Who should St. Louis support in its eighth season without an NFL team? In the first game tonight the Detroit Lions play the Kansas City Chiefs and a few more FOX 2 viewers vote for the Chiefs. We asked our Facebook fans who they want to root for in the upcoming NFL season.
- Jen BD said: “Bosses! STL native and season ticket holder for 22 years.”
- Jessica D. said, “I mean, the Chiefs are in Missouri, so there’s that.”
- Diane M. said, “Real Chiefs fans, let’s go guys.”
But some are against the KC Chiefs:
- Rukiya L said, “I will cheer for the South-Central Louisiana State Mud Dogs before I ever cheer for the KC Chiefs.”
- Peter S. said: “Not the Chiefs. Their CEO played a big role in the Rams’ move. I don’t understand why anyone in STL would support the Chiefs.”
Some are still die-hard Rams fans:
- William B. said, “I’m still with the Rams. Don’t forget that the Chiefs owner also voted to move the Rams.”
- Lauren H. said, “I’m still here for the Rams.”
There were many suggestions:
- Keith S. said: “I grew up a Cowboys fan for 42 years. I’m going to die a Cowboys fan, so let’s go to the Cowboys.”
- Jamie DP said, “49ers, baby.”
- Anthony W. said, “The Patriots…because when the St. Louis Rams lost to them in Super Bowl 36, it changed the history and trajectory of both teams.”
- Kelly H. said: “Detroit Lions! Good luck to Sam LaPorta of Highland, Illinois, and his team!”
Some had no preference.
- Jeanne M. said: “Whoever plays against the Rams and Patriots…”
- Bob R. said, “Whoever plays the Cowboys.”
Then some people just had fun.
- Jillian C. said: “Simple; Just choose the team your friend likes. It works like a charm.”
- Scott D. said, “My only interest is my fantasy team and who I’m betting on.”
Suggest a correction
https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/st-louis-a-city-divided-over-nfl-team-alliances/ St. Louis, a city divided over NFL team alliances