Suspect in Texas massacre that killed 5 people, caught after days on the run
A frantic manhunt for a suspect accused of shooting dead five people, including a 9-year-old boy, on Friday night has come to an end. Officials said the man was arrested.
Francisco Oropesa, 38, was arrested Tuesday in the tiny Texas town of Cut and Shoot, according to authorities.
The San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Oropesa had been taken into custody without incident. According to local reports, authorities are considering criminal charges “for the person or persons” who helped Oropesa evade police for nearly four days.
Following his conviction, Oropesa will be returned to the San Jacinto County Jail, where he is expected to be held on $5 million bail, Sheriff Greg Capers said.
Further details on the situation were not immediately available as authorities are expected to hold a press conference at 9pm local time. Oropesa’s arrest was first reported by NBC News.
Oropesa is believed to have killed five people with an AR-15 rifle after a neighbor in Cleveland, Texas approached him and asked him to stop firing a gun in his front yard due to the noise of her sleeping baby could disturb.
The victims were identified as Sonia Guzman, 25; Diana Velazquez Alvarado, 21; Juliza Molina Rivera, 31; Jose Jonathan Casarez, 18; and Daniel Enrique Laso, 9.
More than 250 officers with over a dozen agencies searched for Oropesa earlier in the week, with authorities divulging few details about the investigation’s progress.
In your latest update On Sunday, the FBI said it had “zero leads” in the case.
“We don’t know where he is,” an agent told reporters at the news conference, echoing an earlier comment by Capers that Oropesa “could be anywhere.”
This is an evolving story and will be updated.
Get the Daily Beast’s biggest news and scandals straight to your inbox. Join Now.
Stay connected and get unlimited access to the Daily Beast’s unmatched coverage. subscribe now