Teenager fights for his life after death. Coli diagnosis traces back to Restaurant 4S Ranch

4S RANCH, Calif. – A 14-year-old boy is fighting for his life at Rady Children’s Hospital after being diagnosed with an illness. Coli after an evening with the family eating at Miguel’s Cocina at 4S Ranch.

“I’m trying to be strong for my son so he won’t be afraid,” Rachele Byrd said. “It’s hard to see your child suffering like that.”

Byrd’s son is one of seven patients admitted to the hospital from the hospital. coli infections. The county has confirmed 13 cases are linked to the restaurant.

On Oct. 12, Byrd said, her family ate at the restaurant. Two days later, her son, who ate carne asada that evening, complained of a headache. The next day fever, then excruciating diarrhea. Now he is on dialysis.

“It was confirmed on Saturday or Sunday that his kidneys were beginning to fail,” Byrd said.

His infection progressed to a more serious complication called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS). This is a condition that can occur when small blood vessels become damaged and inflamed.

The county health department confirms these are cases of Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, or STEC, which usually comes from beef products, unpasteurized milk, juice or fruits and vegetables.

Miguel’s Cocina was closed on Tuesday.

Mike Morton, Jr., president and CEO of The Brigantine Restaurants, released a statement to FOX 5 about Miguel’s Cocina.

“We work hand in hand with the DEH to find possible sources for e. coli in our facility or anywhere in our supply chain.”

Related Articles

Back to top button