The Socceroos relinquish a 2-0 lead in penalty chaos in a thrilling draw against Mexico

The Socceroos rue the poor end to their friendly against Mexico, blowing a two-goal lead to a 2-2 draw, while midfielder Jackson Irvine suffered a serious late ankle injury.

Harry Souttar headed home in the 16th minute to give Australia the lead in front of a loud, pro-Mexican crowd at AT&T Stadium in Dallas.

Mexico’s Santi Gimenez missed a penalty in the 54th minute before Australia’s Martin Boyle, playing his first international match since the knee injury that ruled him out of the World Cup last year, scored his own penalty nine minutes later.

Striker Mitch Duke limped off the pitch in the 67th minute with a hamstring injury and Australia were undone by two big defensive errors against the world No. 12.

Mexico’s Raul Jimenez scored a penalty in the 69th minute after debutant Cam Burgess gave away a penalty.

Then Cesar Huerta pounced on a disastrous mix-up between Souttar, who coach Graham Arnold had advised to use Sunday’s friendly as his “stage” to prove a point to the Leicester City club, and Maty Ryan, who was in the 84th minute. equalized in the minute.

The evening got even worse when Irvine, who had been great throughout, twisted his right ankle on the artificial turf and was carried off on a stretcher.

Until the disastrous final half hour, Souttar and Burgess looked mostly comfortable in central defense in their first start together, with Kye Rowles switching to left-back.

The artificial surface looked ugly and the players needed time to familiarize themselves with the conditions.

Australia scored after Connor Metcalfe’s long-range shot forced a save from Guillermo Ochoa.

From the resulting corner, Boyle curled the ball into the near post and Souttar broke away from Johan Vasquez and directed a clear header into the bottom far corner.

Ten minutes into the second half, a handball from Keanu Baccus gave Mexico a penalty, but Gimenez hammered his penalty onto the post.

Australia scored a penalty of their own when Riley McGree broke between Luis Romo and Julian Araujo and fell to the ground.

Boyle coolly converted and Australia looked to be in prime position for an impressive win – until they were undone by two long balls.

Mexico’s Uriel Antuna was chasing a long-range shot when he was fouled by Burgess after Ryan chose not to come off his line to eliminate the danger.

With Mexico watching the game, Souttar ducked under what would normally be a regular header and Huerta slipped between the center back and Ryan and fired the ball into the goal.

Debutant Sammy Silvera came on for Boyle in the 74th minute.

© AAP The Socceroos relinquish a 2-0 lead in penalty chaos in a thrilling draw against Mexico

Snopx is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button